Friday, July 15, 2016

Turning the Corner

A few weeks ago I started a new job where I'm a Lead Teacher in a toddler classroom again and I am sooooo happy.

I haven't posted in a while because I had a few other things I wanted to post about but didnt because of some personal issues that conflicted with my work and my schooling.

Anyway I'm going to skip those posts or maybe post them later.

I love being a toddler teacher like there is no tomorrow. My kids are the perfect age for me, 2's who are almost 3. They're still little and cuddly but they're old enough to talk and have some self sufficiency.

The small things make me feel like I'm really making a difference. For example, my school does a different theme every week, this week was farmer's market week. I had been trying to teach the children things about the farmer's market. What it is, what we get there, who works there, where the food comes from etc. During snack time we had carrots, I looked at the table and said "Oh we have carrots, where can we buy carrots from?" and one little boy actually said "At the farmer's market!"

My heart filled with joy. It might seem like a small simple thing but to know that they're actually paying attention and I'm teaching them something is literally my entire life's goal.

The Dilemma

I love my new job but I only intended to be their for the summer and then return to substitute teaching. Everyone at my job is really cool and nice and I feel really appreciated there. They constantly tell me what a good job I'm doing and how they wish I would stay passed the summer and I could possibly move up the ranks in time (although that may have just been a playful conversation). But it's a significant pay cut from subbing. I love subbing and I love being a lead teacher. I hate to make a decision based off money but I have bills to pay and I'm trying to save to have a better life. I hate being in a position in my life where all of my jobs and my living situations are temporary. Hopefully after I graduate I can stop hopping around and just stay in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment