Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Handprint Ninja Turtles (Brotherly Love)

There's a child in my class who I absolutely adore and he has a baby brother that does not come to out daycare on a regular basis. He was with us today in the baby room and I thought it would be cute to make a project with the two of them. I don't really know why I had the urge to do this but I did. Maybe because I will be leaving my class soon and I'm feeling emotional. You can want whatever reaction you want out of people but the reality is they will react however they want to. I got lucky with this one, I was hoping the parent would be all emotional about the project their sons made and the mother was when she picked them up. She was about almost in tears talking about wanting to frame it. I just wanted to make something nice for them and it worked out. :)

What you'll need:

  • Green paint
  • Markers
  • Construction paper
  • Eyes
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • Sponge brush

What to do:
  1. We're making Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so that is why we're using green paint. Paint the child's hand green with the sponge brush and press it onto the paper. Hold the child's hand down to prevent smudging (I usually count to 5).
  2. Let the handprints dry before you move on. Cut a thin strip of paper to make the eye mask, use one of the ninja turtle colors (red, blue, purple, orange). I also cut to smaller pieces to create what looks like the ends when you tie the mask onto a face.
  3. Glue the mask onto the handprints, then the eyes onto the mask.
  4. Cut some orange construction paper into 4 small orange squares. Glue the orange squares onto the area where the "stomach" would land, I glued them onto the middle and ring finger area.
  5. I used red and black markers to make an open mouth smile with a tongue sort of sticking out to make my turtles look happy.
  6. Since this is a sibling project for parents I wrote a cute phrase on it and the children's names and ages so it can be a memory.
The finished product:
I wish my handwriting was a little cuter but I'm very proud of the outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment