Monday, July 20, 2015

I Week- Insect (The Very Hungry Caterpillar handprints)

In my school the classrooms have a line where we clip up the kid's projects for the day along with any notices that need to go to all the parents. I have decided to change it from the flowers we currently have in my room to handprints that form The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Each child's handprint makes a part of the body and one child's handprint is the head to the caterpillar.

What you'll need:
  • Green, blue, brown, and red paint
  • Paper plates (or something to put the paint on)
  • Construction paper
  • Scissors
  • Clothes pins
  • Glue
  • Paint sponges (sponges are better for children's hands, brushes can be a little rough)
  • Something to clean the children's hands with (I used paper towels and wipes so they could play until I had everyone finished and could wash their hands properly)
  • A laminater (optional)

What to do:
  1. For this craft we're not going to use the children's whole hands. When trying not to use a whole hand don't try to paint the whole hand out of habit and hold down just the parts you want. Trust me, I've seen people do it.
  2. Paint the palm of the child's hand green.
  3. Paint all the fingers except the thumb blue. This will create a body part section, and some of the legs. The thumb would be in a strange spot for a leg.
  4. For the head, paint the child's palm red, and the index and ring fingers brown.
  5. Draw eyes and a smile to create a face.
  6. I chose to laminate mine before gluing the clothes pins on the back. I also wrote the children's names above and below the prints instead of through them like I originally intended.
Here's the prints together so you can see how they make a caterpillar:

And here's how they look hung up. This picture is bad I know but it's the best I could do with them being so far apart from each other.



No comments:

Post a Comment